Police officers have entitlements under their industrial agreement which cover work and non-work related illness and injury costs.
Work Related Medical Expenses:
Accounts for work related medical expenses, travel and other associated costs are to be sent to the Vocational Rehabilitation Unit to pay. If an approved work related illness/injury expense is paid by the officer or you as their family, they will be able to seek reimbursement for the whole expense.
Work related illness and injury includes all aspects of incidents while on duty as well as the journey to and from work.
The sorts of things covered include:
- Hospital accommodation
- Surgery expenses and
- Equipment hire, for example a moon boot for a ruptured achilles.
This provides benefits for work related sick leave; medical and other expenses, for injury or illness, arising out of or in the performance of the employee’s duties.
Further information about work related medical expenses is available by contacting Vocational Rehabilitation Unit at Health, Welfare and Safety via:
Phone: 6229 5615 (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday)
Non-Work Related Medical Expenses:
Police officers are entitled to be reimbursed for many non-work related illness and injury costs. Sick leave is available to allow time for recovery from non-work illness or injury, with a medical certificate.
This is designed to provide them reimbursement for treatment and other services, plus pharmaceutical supplies for non-work-related injury or illness.
To make sure the right costs reimbursed, the officer is to:
- Pay for the treatment received and present the detailed invoice of the services provided and the costs
- Make sure the details of the rebates from Medicare and or private health insurer are available as only ‘out of pocket’ costs are covered.
- Confirm whether the prescribed medication is on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule (non-PBS medications will not be covered).
Costs related to the following are not able to be reimbursed:
- CPAP machines
- Lasik eye surgery
- Long term hire of monitors
- Cosmetic surgery.
Further information about non–work related medical expenses is available by contacting Payroll Operations at Personnel Services via:
Phone: 6229 5777 (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday)