External Psychologists

The first step towards better mental health is asking for help.  We urge our people to get the help they need as a priority, with the decision to be made by them as to whether it’s from internal or external to WA Police Force.

It should be noted that for police officers, costs to access external psychological or psychiatric support services are covered, regardless whether the issue is work related or of a personal nature.  In the case of work related issues, WA Police Force pays the bills, and for personal or non-work related appointments we reimburse the out of pocket costs (after Medicare and Private Health rebates).


When choosing a psychologist, make sure they are qualified and have some expertise in the issue about which help is needed.  It’s important to note that there are also rural and remote mental health practitioners and some very good quality services can be provided over the phone or through tele-health services.


For a list of preferred providers email WA Police Force Psychology Unit or call 6229 5662 during business hours.


For information, see counsellors and psychologists in WA


How do I access a Psychologist through a mental health care plan?


A mental health care plan is a support plan for someone going through mental health issues. If a doctor agrees there is a need for additional support, they will work with your loved one to make the plan as to how to best manage recovery.


A mental health care plan might include:

  • A referral to an expert, like a psychologist

  • The types of mental health support that may help your loved one

  • Other strategies to improve and maintain mental health and wellbeing

  • Government coverage of some or all of the cost of up to ten sessions in a calendar year


To learn more visit Mental Health Care Plan and related Medicare rebates